Re: [Xen-users] 32bit domU on 64 bit dom0

> Thank you for the reply.  I am currently on AMD H/W.  As for PAE, if
> dom0 is 64 bit their is no need for PAE no?  Doesn't PAE just allow 32
> bit kernels to access more than 4GB or RAM?

The 32-bit PV kernels need to support PAE in order to run on 64-bit Xen.  This
is because the pagetable format used by 32-bit PAE is compatible with that
used by x86_64, whereas the non-PAE 32-bit page tables are not.

Redhat enable PAE in all their 32-bit xenified kernels, SuSE provide an
alternative kernel with it enabled (AFAIK), etc so you should be able to find
one that fits.

Cheers,
Mark

> Thanks, Dave
>
> Dylan Martin wrote:
> > To run 32bit Para Virtualized (PV) on a 64bit box, you need xen
> > 3.1 and the domU must be set up for PAE.
> >
> > Me and one other person have had trouble booting with a 32bit HV guest
> > on 64bit Intel hardware.  If yours is Intel, please let me know
> > weather it works or not.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Dylan
> >
> >> I have been reading the list this morning about this topic and I am
> >> unclear if this can happen.  With version 3.0.x or 3.1 of Xen is this
> >> possible on a non 'VT' h/w?
> >>
> >> Thx, Dave

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!