[Xen-users] xen 3.1/ RHEL5 vs. ethtool

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:29:10 -0500 (CDT)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:29:41 -0700

I have the xensource 3.1.0 x86_64 tarball installed over
a RHEL5 clone distribution.  The "ethtool" utility only
returns the following information:

[root@fermigrid5 etc]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Link detected: yes
[root@fermigrid5 etc]#

Since I have no vanilla-installed rhel5 machines with which to compare,
I am not sure if I am dealing with a bug in the ethtool
(whose output should look like this, or if I am dealing with
some wierdness in the xenized kernel that doesn't support
the extra network function calls, or if I am dealing with a mismatch
between the ethtool and the xen kernel.

Any ideas?

It should look like this:

[root@fermigrid4 var]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s