Re: [Xen-users] Xen and Intel Debug Registers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:51:20 -0400
"Matt Evenson" <mevenson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would love to hear if anyone else had had success or failure when
> attempting to use Debug Registers inside a Xen VM.

Yes indeed, there appear to be problems. At work we have a big
opteron smp system we have lots of different linux distributions
on in HVMs to use for testing our products in multiple environments.
When I run many debugger tests in parallel on different HVMs,
I get random failures in the watchpoint tests (watchpoints
use the debug registers to generate address traps). If I rerun
the failed tests on one HVM at a time with the other idle, they
always work fine. (And then there are the rhel 5 HVMs which almost
always crash during the debugger tests - don't know if it is the
same problem or not).