Re: [Xen-users] Assign multiple cpu's to a single vcpu

  • To: Shem Valentine <shemsp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:21:20 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:21:06 -0700

Shem Valentine wrote:
Hello list,

This is my first attempt at running Xen, and so far it has been
incredible.  However, I don't think it's going to work for the specific
application I was trying to use it for.

We have a web management system which uses a MySQL backend.  We have put
the MySQL server on a dual cpu motherboard with 2 dual-core XEON's with
hyperthreading.  I noticed that MySQL would only run on one core with a
total CPU usage of 25% (due to performance issues I had disabled
hyperthreading).  While searching forums and such about MySQL threading
a few people had mentioned going VMWARE because MySQL did not support
threading natively.  However I am a big fan open source and I like that
Xen was not a userspace virtualization so I gave it a try.

I've been running into the same problem with Xen.  I cannot get it to
use more than one core with MySQL.  What I am looking to do is have the
DomU have one vcpu and have Xen thread it's vcpu across all 8 physical
cpus.  I am naive in thinking this is possible with any virtualization?

When doing my research the User Manual seems to say that this is possible:
" Xen allows a domain's virtual CPU(s) to be associated with one or more
host CPUs. This can be used to allocate real resources among one or more
guests, or to make optimal use of processor resources when utilizing
dual-core, hyperthreading, or other advanced CPU technologies."
Which version of Xen? And what do your guest domain configurtions look like?There are certainly options in the config files to enable this.

And what does /proc/cpuinfo say on your Dom0?