RE: [Xen-users] Convert physical server to VM

Hi,

And what about converting Windows physical hosts to VMs :)

-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marc Patino Gómez
Sent: 23 August 2007 12:05
To: Simon Gao
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Convert physical server to VM

Hi,

rsync works great on production enviroments, I had paravirtualized some
servers with these method:

rsync -ave ssh --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/dev (if you are
using udev) root@runingserver:/  /mnt/newserverimage/

after this:

mkdir /mnt/newserverimages/proc

mkdir /mnt/newserverimages/sys

mkdir /mnt/newserverimages/dev

review your fstab, and copy the kernel modules:

cp -pr /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU /mnt/newserverimages/lib/modules/

more or less .... this is the way

Also I have full virtualitzed some old GNU/Linux boxes with kernels 2.4,
I used GNU/Linux live CD on the old box and dd utility:

dd if=/dev/hda | ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx "/bin/dd
of=/dev/vg00/newvserver"

I hope it will be helpfull

Marc