Re: [Xen-users] Using mainline PVM

>       I have a non-VT/Pacifica box.  I have happily running PVM domUs
> with distro kernels.  I need to test some mainline code (unrelated to
> virtualization).  Xen 3.1 x86_64 in dom0.  So, I build a mainline 32bit
> kernel with CONFIG_XEN.  The files in arch/i386/xen seem to be built
> just fine, but I can't figure out what object to boot.  bzImage fails
> with:

> Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n')
>
>       I also tried vmlinux.bin, which gets the same.  I tried
> arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux, but that gets:

>       Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', "elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Not a Xen-ELF
> image: No ELF notes or '__xen_guest' section found.\n")
>
>       Lastly I tried vmlinux from the toplevel kernel source
> directory, and that just appears to hang the domU.
>       What am I doing wrong?  Is there a particular make target I'm
> supposed to use?  A particular kernel image file I'm not seeing?

First off, I take it you've compiled the guest with PAE?  Only PAE guests will
run under x86_64 Xen.

Second, you should be fine off using the top level vmlinux / vmlinuz.  bzImage
won't (yet) work.

Thirdly, confusingly, vanilla 3.1 doesn't properly handle pre-3.1-era 32-bit
guest kernels.  I believe changes to fix this are in the unstable tree...  If
the mainline kernel doesn't use the latest post-3.1 interfaces then maybe
this is the problem you're seeing.  In which case a newer Xen / tools (and
possibly dom0) might solve it.

These are my guesses; I've not tried Xen64, nor using a mainline kernel
myself, though so YMMV, sorry.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.