Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Virtual Sound Support to PV guests

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 04:13:01PM +0200, Thorolf Godawa wrote:
> Hi Avadhoot,
>
> >I have plans to do a project of duration one year and I am thinking of
> >implementing virtual sound support to PV guests in Xen. From Xen wiki,
> >I came to know that Mark sir is already working on it but when I
> >mailed him, he replied that he had stopped it.
> what where the reasons why he stopped the project?
>
> >Is it a good idea to do this project ? Or is anyone else already
> >working on it ?
> Think about what is usualy done with PV guests and how they are usualy
> accessed. As far as my information reaches, most people use PV guest to
> consolidate linux servers on one machine, mostly accessed with ssh and
> without graphical gui. Do these people need any audio support?
>
> I think that audio support may be interesting in HMV guests where you
> use a graphical GUI via SDL, VNC or RDP to work on a Windows guest
>
> But this is only MY opinion, wait for other, more competent answers and
> really think about where it could be usefull and who has a benefit from
> it. I'm quite sure that I forgot several scenarios where it could be
> quite usefull!

Consider a home media/phone server scenario.
You might want to isolate whole house music from
VDR and video playback and asterix.
However, unless you're talking about a dedicated appliance
with a non-x86 CPU, it would probably be less of a headache to
just use something like pulseaudio or jack in a network model.
(Why invent a new and different flavor of abstraction when there
are existing broken ones to almost meet your needs?).

If I were looking at such a project as a way to do things efficiently,
I'd probably punt to the ARM folks and the Symbian folks for ideas
on providing isolated concurrent audio access.
--
Chris Dukes
< elfick> willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up