Re: [Xen-users] vPro (VT-d) support?

> Would this VT-d let us assign graphic cards to DomUs?

You already can do this in principle (I'm not sure if it works in practice; a
few people have tried playing with it though) for a PV domU.  With an IOMMU
and some other moving parts (changes to Qemu device models, etc) it ought to
be possible to do this for HVM domUs too.

Note my other e-mail about being able to pass through devices on systems
without an IOMMU...  This could prove useful at some point in the future.

> Are we going to be
> able to switch between Dom0 and DomU while this card is being used?
> We can talk some kind of "sharing" here, when DomU has the "screen", it
> uses the card, if not, Dom0. Or, somehow we should see the output of DomU
> in Dom0's screen, but with unmodified driver in the DomU.
>
> Possible? or not yet even with VT-d?

It'd need more coding in order to get the switching / sharing working.  VT-d
could be one part of a solution make it safe and practical to pass graphics
cards directly to HVM guests, but in itself it doesn't make switching
on-the-fly possible.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.