Re: [Xen-users] RE: Kernel sources for DomU

  • To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:29:06 +0100
  • Cc: Rolf Schurink <rolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 03:29:15 -0700

Mark Williamson wrote:
I urgently need the kernel-devel sources for my Centos DomU to recompile
asterisk. Please let me know where I can find this? My domU was created by
importing from another server... I'm running Xensource enterprise V4 latest
on the server.

After instaling Xen tools, uname -r gives
2.6.9-55.0.2.el.xs4.1...

Is this a Xen tools for HVM guest thing, or...?

The folks on this list are not so knowledgeable regarding the XenEnterprise products; most people here use the OSS Xen. More informed help regarding the commercial products is probably available at http://forums.xensource.com. You might want to try enquiring there in parallel.
Did you:
   rename the kernel in Makefile or elsewhere before compiling it?
   install the new kernel
   verify that /etc/boot/grub.conf has the new kernel correctly configured
   boot with that new kernel?

And if you've paid for the enterprise version, you might ask the Xensource staff for some help. I don't know if they're building RPM's for RHEL and CentOS, but they should, and the RHEL kernel should work fine.

I assume that in fact you are using CentOS 4, based on your kernel version. Upgrade to CentOS 5 if you can, it's a straightforward upgrade and a useful one.