Re: [Xen-users] Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write a book about it ?

  • To: Mehdi AMINI <armeni67@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tao Shen <taoshen1983@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:52:49 -0600
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:53:23 -0700

Mehdi AMINI wrote:
Hello,

Exactly my point, Mehdi, it is no longer going back to the community.
It's going to a corporation not too different from Vmware, but the code
was, dare I say, 85% written by the open source developers who didn't
get paid.

Yes but you still pay 15% open-source work from Xen-source :)
With vwmare it would be .... 0% ?
Oh boy....No, I would be paying 100% the price for 15% of the work done by Xen-source vs paying 100% price for 100% of the work done by VMware. In other words, 0% of the price I pay to XenSource goes to 85% of the work done by open source community.
On the issues of pricing,
500 bux for Server Edition, vs 200 bux for VMware workstation 6, or free VMware Server vs 79 dollars parallels vs Free Microsoft Virtual Server. 2500 bux for Enterprise, vs VMware infrastucture $3750 plus the upgrades options...so Xen is say 50% cheaper.

I see the only market Xen has is Amazon.com EC2 kind of company or Godaddy.com or Virtual Hosting companies, which by the way, if they were to use Xen, they would be buying the support anyways. The way I look at it, since Xen just did the dual licensing, I will never touch it again. If they went true open source style, I would use it, but would probably end up facing problems thus paying for their support packages. It's really Xen's loss. On the other hand, 2500 bux for their 15% work? ....

Mehdi