Re: [Xen-users] Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write a book about it ?

  • To: Tao Shen <taoshen1983@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:19:28 +0100
  • Cc: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:14:18 -0700

Tao Shen wrote:
Magnus:

You repeatedly say that "how does open source company make money without doing it". Let me ask you this question, how does Ubuntu make money giving Ubuntu Linux away? How does PostgreSQL make money giving postgreSQL away. Yes, they sell support contracts just like XenSource does, which I highly support the model. What I don't think is right is when Xen Source releases "Express editions" with capabilities castrated. Last I checked, 4GB of memory limit, and 4 VM limit. (as a developer, sometimes I need close to 8-10VMs running all at once, so I use VMware now) Do you see PostgreSQL do that? do you see Ubuntu do that?
I'm making a living at it, partly with Xen right now, because it's cheaper for the company to pay my salary than to buy VMWare licenses or lots of extra hardware.