Re: [Xen-users] Creating initial file system for a new Xen domain

  • To: "Anand Gupta" <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:54:19 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:55:05 -0700

> Would you mind sharing what all you did to resolve the problem ? Where you
> able to use virt-manager with compiled xen ?

Sure.  For the issue of using virt-manager with compiled xen, I didn't
spend more time on it and didn't get it to work because I got used to
using the vanilla xen tools  virt-manager hangs when I launch it, and
the other virt tools one gets with FC6 also don't work.

For mounting the domU's disk file, lomount wasn't working for me
because I had the domU configured to use an LVM.  For domUs I have
created since then, I don't configure domUs to use LVMs, and lomount
works in that case.  Also, I sometimes use a Dom0 partition to back
the DomU's virtual disk, in which case lomount can also be used to
mount the virtual disk in Dom0.

I was able to get the DomU I _created_ with virt-manager to run with
compiled Xen...the only thing that doesn't work is graphical output
from the DomU.  I needed to change the DomU's inittab to start at
runlevel 3.  Unfortunately I couldn't mount it's file systems (see
above), so to do this I had to start the DomU while running a network
sniffer in Dom0 so I could see the IP address the DomU got from DHCP
(since I didn't have any static IPs handy).  Then I ssh'd into the
DomU and changed inittab :)

Dave