Re: [Xen-users] Problem in updating linux kernel in a remote xen virtual machine

  • To: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: hxsrmeng <hxsrmeng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:56:25 -0500
  • Cc: xen user <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:59:58 -0800

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 20:42 +0530, Sadique Puthen wrote:
> hxsrmeng wrote:
> > Hi friends,
> >
> > I'd like to update a linux kernel in a remote xen virtual machine but
> > met a problem.
> >
> > The currently working kernel in that xen VM is linux-2.6.16.46-0.12, the
> > local version is "-xen".
> >
> > I added one module, several kernel hacking options, and change the local
> > version to "-mine". After recompiling, I set this "-mine" kernel as my
> > default one in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
> >
> > But the remote xen VM always boots with the original "-xen" kernel,
> > ignoring the "default" setting in the menu.lst. (I have not yet the
> > graphic access to the VM and host). Also I can not "modprobe" the module
> > I added.
> >
> > So, I don't know what's wrong. Is there any difference in updating
> > kernels in VM? Or is there any general setting to set which kernels a VM
> > can boot with?
> >
> > Thank you so much.
> >
> > BTW, when doing kernel recompiling, I did
> >
> > #make menuconfig
> > #make clean
> > #make
> > #make modules_install install
> >
> > At this point,
> > System.map-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
> > config-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
> > vmlinux-syms-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
> > vmlinuz-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
> >
> > were generated and copied to /boot automatically, but no
> > initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine. I had to use "mkinitrd" to generate it.Also,
> > the "-mine" entry in the menu.lst need to be added manually.
> >

> It might be true that you are not loading the guest kernel from domu
> filesystem via pygrub. You may be passing the guest kernels from dom0 by
> specifying kernel = and ramdisk = parameter in the guest configuration
> file. If that is the case recompiling the kernel inside the guest
> wouldn't take effect.

You are right. I didn't do anything other than I mentioned.

> How does your guest configuration file look like?

Is this configuration file should be inside the guest machine? I looked
for /etc directory, but didn't find /etc/xen sub-directory. What's its
name? Should I look for it in other dirctories?

Or, I should check the folders in the host?

Thank you!