Re: [Xen-users] boot from cd

Marco Strullato wrote:
There are at least two reasons:
1)If I would like to upgrade the version of an existing installation (if I'm using a redhat distro), I need to boot from cd and choose to upgrade an existing installation.

This can be achieved by following the method that I described earlier. I have not tested though.

Download the images/xen/{vmlinuz, initrd.img} from the new distro source to /var/lib/xen/images.
Add the below lines to the guest configuration file.

kernel = "/var/lib/xen/images/vmlinuz"
ramdisk = "/var/lib/xen/images/initrd.img"
extra = "upgrade"

Comment out the line starting by "pygrub = ".

Boot the guest as usual and specify nfs/http/ftp repo as the rescue source. Once the upgrade is completed, reverse the configuration file to its old state.

2)If I want to test some live distro, I need to boot from cd.

This is not possible.

--Sadique

Thanks,

Marco