Re: [Xen-users] Which Debian version? Which xen version?

Bas van der Vlies wrote:
> Jan Marquardt wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I need an advice on the both mentioned above topics. We will start using
>> Xen to replace some older servers. We are thinking about the following
>> possible combinations:
>>
>> 1. Debian Etch with Xen 3.0 from Debian packages.
>> 2. Debian Etch with Xen 3.1 from Source
>> 3. Debian Lenny with Xen 3.1 from packages.
>>
> I had the same procedure and ended up with Etch and building the
> kernel and utils from source Xen 3.1.1.
>
> Because 3.1.1 version has some improvements over version 3.0.4 for etch.

I don't use Debian, but from my experince using vendor-supported Xen
often saves a lot of headaches. I use RHEL 5.1 with bundled xen 3.1 (rpm
version still says 3.0 though), and the upgrade process from RHEL 5 ->
5.1 which includes xen 3->3.1 has been relatively smooth. Xen 3.1 is a
great improvement for me because it has 32-on-64 support and allows
running Opensolaris PV on linux.

If you like Debian, why not try Ubuntu Gutsy? It comes with Xen 3.1.

Regards,

Fajar