Re: [Xen-users] Running network services on Dom0

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tom Lobato <tomlobato@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:13:05 -0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:13:14 -0800

Hello Sadique,

ok, I understand the security motivation.
With Linux really has no problem in running as domU, but I made some
tests with win2003 on xen and noted that free vmware server is faster.
So, I'm thinking about use vmware. I really would like to use Xen,
because it is real free software and I like so, but I must to deliver
best performance to my customer.

I read about virtualization and para-virtualization. As I understood,
the full virtualization that Xen does with Windows is not yet so fast,
because it lacks free PV drivers. Is there any optimization to try? I'm
already running win2003 on a separate partition (/dev/sda6, a sata raid1
device). I use debian etch and xen 3.0 from debian repositories.

Thank you!

Tom Lobato

Sadique Puthen escreveu:
Tom Lobato wrote:

Is it a good way to run common network services on dom0 (proxy-cache, dababase), beyond manage domU's ?

As far as security is concerned,  NO. Have them on domus

--Sadique

   Tom Lobato