Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 crash on hvm creation

Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Brendan,
>
> CentOS 5.1 is available now, bundling a Xen derived from 3.1.  Are you able
> try this and see if it solves your problem?  The HVM support in 3.1 is much
> improved from 3.0.3 (as evidenced by Redhat now talking about Windows guests,
> IIRC).
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I tested the version of Xen released with CentOS, and it doesn't seem to
fix all the issues. While the original freezing problem seems to have been
solved with a new BIOS provided by our server manufacturer, the
xen-3.0.3-41 package (which is apparently supposed to be Xen 3.1, while
xen-3.0.3-25 was still Xen 3.0. Good old Redhat) didn't fix other issues
I'd noticed. Particularly, I noticed that it was still only seeing 3535M of
RAM, when the servers had 4G or 8G altogether. Apparently it's more of a
bug in grub than in Xen itself, but the Xen 3.1.2 release I used to build
my RPM seems to have solved that.

I did notice that while Xen 3.1.2 did solve an issue we were having with
the hvm hardware clock running fast, to the point where it was two weeks
ahead at least, the clocks are still a couple of seconds out of sync with
each other on different domU instances. This can be corrected with ntpd to
the point that it doesn't cause an issue, at least. I wasn't able to test
whether the Redhat release solved this issue as the one test server to
which I was able to apply the CentOS 5.1 updates inexplicably didn't know
any time problems to begin with, despite being the same configuration and
BIOS version as other servers that exhibited the problem. Go figure.

Anyway, I just wanted to post my experiences so far. Xen 3.1 is absolutely
required for 64-bit HVM from what I've seen, and Xen 3.1.2 seems to run a
lot better than the prepackaged versions.

Thanks for the help,

Brendan Wood