[Xen-users] Me vs. RHEL 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:40:07 -0600 (CST)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:40:36 -0800

I am trying to migrate an existing working xen setup
which was based on xen 3.1.0 tarballs as they were available
at xen.org.  Underlying distro is RHEL5.
I am now trying to use the not-really-xen3.1.0-but-almost
xen that comes with RHEL5 update 1.

Host was 64-bit dom0. first domU was PAE 32-bit, both from xen 3.1.0 tarballs.

Now I have installed kernel-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen on the dom0.
That boots up fine.  I tried to start up the domU first with
the old 2.6.18-xen kernel (32-bit PAE) that was working before.  That
also started up OK, although it did crash once.

The question is--how to get the 32-bit PAE kernel from
RedHAt installed and booting in the domU.  I tried both
2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen (32bit) and 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5PAE (32bit)

the former cannot find the root system file system of the domU. I get the following error:

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
-----------------

If I compare between the 2.6.18-xen kernel from xensource which
works, and this one that doesn't, I see that I am missing
the modules ide-disk.ko, libusual.ko, usbcore.ko, usb-storage.ko
The usb modules should be irrelevant since there is no usb on this machine.
alas, the ide-disk.ko module which seems to be the key one isn't even
there at all in the redhat ersion of the kernel.

If I try to load the PAE version of the kernel instead, I get the following error message:

VmError: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no shstrtab\n')

Any clue what may be going on?
Does anyone else have a RHEL 5 update 1 system working with 64-bit host,
32 bit PAE guests?

Thanks

Steve Timm