Re: [Xen-users] Information Request - domU configuration variables

  • To: "Norton, Jerry" <jnorton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dan VerWeire" <dverweire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:26:40 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:27:10 -0800

Hi Jerry,

I don't have any links to more information but I can give you a quick answer on your question. You use the /path/hvmloader when you want your domU to run an operating system  that is not Xen aware, such as Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or a non-paravirtualized linux distro. Pretty much it using the HVMLoader should allow you to install any OS on your computer that you would normally be able to on the bare metal. Your CPU must have virtualization extensions in order for this to work.

The other example you listed "kernel = '/path/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-xen-686" is for booting a domU that is Xen aware using a linux Kernel or other that was compiled as a Xen guest domain. These types of domUs don't require the virtualization extensions in the CPU as the Kernel can talk to Xen.

At least, this is how I understand it. I am still learning...

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan