Re: [Xen-users] Using USB webcam in domU

> Hi guys. After searching for solution online, I found out that there is no
> way to access USB in domU, is that true?

For a PV domU you could use PCI passthrough to make a USB host controller
accessible to the domU.  This does imply that the domU is as trusted as dom0,
and all devices on that host controller will belong to that domU.

You can find out what PCI devices you have using "lspci", which will also tell
you which ones are USB host controllers.

> Any possible solution to enable
> it? What I need is to input the video from a USB webcam. Thanks.

For an HVM guest, USB passthrough is also possible.  But I'm not sure it works
for isochronous devices such as webcams yet.  I think I remember that it
didn't work yet, but I could be wrong.

For the record, under HVM it should be possible to pass individual USB devices
through from dom0 without making the guest trusted and without dedicating the
entire controller.  But, as I say, it may not work for webcams yet and I have
heard varying reports of problems with this feature.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.