Re: [Xen-users] 2 problems : installing Xen on Debian and running Xen on Ubuntu 7.10

> In fact I have two problems :
> I'm working on a project that will consist on virtualizing server in order
> to rent them.

Cool.  The Xen Wiki has a list of existing Xen-based hosting providors, in
case you want to research the competition ;-)

> For the moment I'm trying to install Xen on my computer for
> testing purpose and here are the two problems I have :
>
> - As the server I will be working on will be on Debian Etch I have
> installed on my computer the same distribution and tried to have Xen
> working on it. The kernel is 2.6.18-5 and I've tried 3 methods : acuiqring
> the packets through apt, installing with binaries or compiling from the
> sources but I have the same problem : When I want to reboot my computer on
> Xen kernel I have all the writing made by the Xen addition but at the end
> it stops a few seconds and thenreboot. I even cannot stop rebooting by
> using the noreboot directive in Grub

You've put the noreboot directive on the "kernel /boot/xen.gz" line, not on
the Linux line, right?  I'd just like you to check this, as it's an easy
mistake to make.

What version of Xen is this?  If noreboot really doesn't work then it sounds
like it's reacting badly to your hardware.  Do you know of anyone who has had
Xen working on this hardware successfully?

For a simple sanity-check, could you please try booting VMKNOPPIX
http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/vmknoppix/index-en.html into Xen on this
machine.  If that works, then you'll need to figure out whether your Xen is
just configured wrong or whether you need to upgrade to a newer version.  If
that doesn't work, then it's probably a bug that needs reporting to
xen-devel...

Can you get a serial line to capture output from the machine?  If so it would
be possible to capture Xen's output using that for further inspection.  You
might be asked to do this if you report on xen-devel.

Try VMKNOPPIX first and see how you get on.

> - I have then tried to install Xen on my laptop with is on Ubuntu 7.10
> using apt. Here no problem while booting on the Xen kernel wich is
> 2.6.22-14. I can create a new DomU using xen-create-image but when I launch
> it using xm create -c domName I have the writings of the launching, and it
> freezes after a line about the ext3 filesystem (I don't remember but I will
> be able to send it to you as you want). If I launch the xm list command I
> have my DomU with the state running. I can't even connect to the DomU by
> ssh but it is perhaps my fault because I can't see it through the network
> interfaces, in fact I see vif0.0, vif 2.0 and xenbr0 for example but they
> have no IP address...

The vifs that appear in dom0 will not have IP addresses, that's normal.

Can you ping the domU?

> The most important question is why can't I have the console using the -c
> option in xm create or even using xm console ???

It sounds like your domain is booting OK but it isn't running a getty terminal
on the virtual serial console.  Can you edit the configuration file to add or
modify the extra= parameter:

extra="xencons=tty"

If you leave that long enough, does the login prompt appear?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!