[Xen-users] Resizing partitions on a VM sitting on a LVM volume

Greetings all!

I emailed a little while ago about an issue similar to this one but am having issues with it....

I have a Xen VM sitting on an LVM volume. I want to grow a file system in the VM. So I 'lvextend' the LVM volume first from 24GB to 64.4GB. No problems there. Then I boot the VM and run parted:

sh-3.1# parted /dev/xvda
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/xvda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print

Model: Xen Virtual Block Device
Disk /dev/xvda: 64.4GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  107MB   107MB   primary   ext3         boot
 2      107MB   10.6GB  10.5GB  primary   ext3
 3      10.6GB  19.0GB  8390MB  primary   linux-swap
 4      19.0GB  24.0GB  5017MB  extended
 5      19.0GB  24.0GB  5017MB  logical   ext3

(parted) resize 4 19.0GB 64.4GB
(parted) resize 5 19.0GB 64.4GB
Error: File system has an incompatible feature enabled.

So I can resize partition 4 with no problems, but can't resize partition 5 because of that error. It clearly sees that the 'disk' has more space now. Anyone know why I can't resize the filesystem/partition this way?

I tried deleting the whole partition and re-creating it with the bigger size, then re-creating the ext3 file system in it, and that works. But when I do that I lose all my data obviously, so I'd like to be able to just use the 'resize' command in parted....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

-erich