Re: [Xen-users] Re: XEN Images Storage

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Daniel Asplund" <danielsaori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:22:42 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 02:24:11 -0800

Have a look at using DRBD, Heartbeat and XEN with two physical machines.
That is the setup I'm currently testing and so far it works great. At
the moment I use old hardware(from the P3 era) with old discs and only
100Mbps NICs, but still a live migration of a DomU is hardly
noticeable.

I had a go first with the Redhat cluster suite, but it doesn't run
well with XEN and DRBD. I had to go back in versions to get it running
but then I lost important functionality.

With version 0.8 of DRBD there is support for XEN live migration. I
really like the way XEN takes care of the my DRBD resources, I have no
script for this, it is all up to XEN.

I then use Heartbeat to monitor the status of each host that will
automatically migrate DomUs to the other host if needed. Another
recommended thing is to use a STONITH device so Heartbeat can reset of
the other host in case of a failure, have not tried that yet.

Cheers, Daniel