[Xen-users] Problems running Debian as Guest System on SLES10 Dom0

  • To: "xen-users @ lists. xensource. com" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:58:53 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:01:37 -0800

On Jan 28, 2008 9:41 AM, marcus <marcus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with my SLES10 xen system...I'm using xen 3.04.
ok...first I created a debian guest system with debootstrap, i worked
well by using this configuration:

kernel = '/boot/vmlinuz-xen'
ramdisk = '/boot/initrd-xen'
memory = 256
name = "debian"
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:cd:ed:4b' ]
disk = [ 'file:/vm/tests/debian/disk0,xvda1,w',
'file:/vm/tests/debian/disk1,xvda2,w']
root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"
extra = 'xencons=tty1 console=tty1'

now i would like to use the graphical xserver, but the guest can't start
it, maybe its a problem of the emulation or...lets say it this way i
dont know, should i add some parameter in my configuration so that i can
use the graphical interface?

ok now my second question. I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE DEBIAN KERNEL :).

I tried to install the xen fixed kernel via apt on the machine. now i
tried to install grub but it didn't worked (i tried to edit the
device.map manually for /dev/xvda/ but it didnt worked). Does everbody
know how its possible to run a debian xen kernel on a SLES10 dom0?

You should be able to use pygrub.

change bootloader to '/usr/bin/pygrub'

add the file /boot/grub/menu.lst to the debian image. You don't actually need grub installed i don't think, since pygrub just reads the image for a menu.lst or grub.conf file.

You just need the menu.lst file to contain a standard entry for the debian kernel you want to boot (make sure that it is within the debian image of course).

Regards,
Todd

my configuration looks like this
name = "debian"
builder="linux"
memory = 256
builder="linux"
bootloader="/usr/lib/xen/boot/domUloader.py"
bootargs="--entry=xvda1:/boot/vmlinuz-xen,/boot/initrd-xen"

--
Marcus Herz
IT-Infrastructure

Nöthnitzer Straße 38