Re: [Xen-users] vanilla kernel and xen (in general), vanilla 2.6.24 and xen

> On Jan 31, 2008 9:48 AM, Jan Marquardt <jm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Emre,
> >
> > thanks for your response.
> >
> > Do I understand correctly that no special option is needed in the
> > configuration? I asking, because I have already tried a kernel in
> > version 2.6.24, but I got the error:
>
> Normally not, maybe your kernel was not built with the XEN options enabled
> in the kernel configuration file?

2.6.24 from kernel.org does not build with Xen support by default.  To enable
this, you'll need to go into make xconfig / make menuconfig and tweak some
options...

Under "Processor type and features", there is an option for "Paravirtualized
guest support".  Enable that.

Under "Paravirtualized guest support", enabled the "Xen guest support" option.

I think this will automatically enable support for Xen block and network
devices; otherwise you'll have to enable them under the relevant menus in the
configurator.

The kernel you build in this way will have support for the Linux paravirt-ops
feature, and so it'll be able to either boot natively or paravirtualised on
one of the hypervisors you've selected support for (e.g. Xen).  It can only
run as a domU under Xen and it does not have full functionality (For example,
it *does* support SMP, paravirt net and block; it *does not* support live
migrate, save / resume, paravirt framebuffer, memory ballooning)

Cheers,
Mark