Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers

On Sunday 03 February 2008 05:31:08 pm James Harper wrote:
> I'm not sure that any benchmarks under the qemu disks is going to mean
> anything, as Dom0 is doing caching for them, unless this has changed in
> 0.3.2. Can you confirm that CPU usage is way down under the pV drivers?

I wouldn't say *way* down. I mostly use my hvm for multimedia that wine or
mplayer/xine can't handle, and that's a real cpu hog on an hvm guest,
especially video.

> Does anything useful get logged in the event log about that? Is it
> possible that your windows domU got so roasted by the previous pv driver
> versions that it has other problems too?

What log file in particular? (c:\windows\...) I've just recovered from a bad
chkdsk relocation of my home directory, plus some anti-virus & anti-trojan
checker files, but that happened after I installed 0.6.5. (Which reminds me,
you never answered whether it's better to do an upgrade with Device Manager,
or straight copies to c:\windows\system32\drivers?)

> Can you send me the config file, or at least the line for the block devices?

disk=[ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/winxp,ioemu:hda,w',
'phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

tap:aio: (actually tap: for hvm guests) stopped working after the upgrade from
fc7 to fc8.