[Xen-users] Re: Choosing O/S for dom0 host with xen 3.2 - best option?

Mark Williamson wrote:

Will tools like virt-install work the same with xen 3.2 as with xen 3.1?

I can't persuade yum to let me uninstall CentOS 5.1's Xen 3.1 without it removing virt-install :-( I don't know if you can install the Citrix / XenSource RPMs alongside the CentOS ones ... ?

Actually, I was mistaken - the version of xen that is available with CentOS 5.1 is 3.0.3:

# rpm -q xen
xen-3.0.3-41.el5.x86_64

How did you get xen 3.1 ?

Are any other distros more suitable for use with xen 3.2? I prefer
Redhat/CentOS/Fedora flavours as that's what I'm most comfortable with,
but I'm not averse to try something else if it is more appropriate.

I do all my Xen development work on CentOS 5.1 these days. That said, I generally try to run CentOS's own Xen on the host so I haven't tried 3.2 on there.

I generally do that too. But, I've been experimenting with being a bit more adventurous, i.e. trying to understand how the whole xen thing fits together rather than just relying on virt-install.

Out of interest, is there something specific you must have in Xen 3.2? Xen 3.1 turned out to be quite a good release AFAIK and supported most things quite nicely. I generally think my CentOS Xen experience has more Zen to it if I stick with the packages they provided ;-)

Nothing specific. I guess I'm an early adopter!

R.