Re: [Xen-users] question on routed configuration & public IP addresses

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, xenlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello.

I have been working on this for a few weeks now and am at a wall. I am looking at replacing some aging equipment with some virtual servers. We have public IP addresses on all of our servers. I need to set up Xen in the following manner (sample, not actual, IPs given):

dom0 =  199.199.199.200

domUa = 199.199.199.219

domUb = 199.199.199.220

domUc = 199.199.199.221
        199.199.199.222
        199.199.199.223
        199.199.199.224
        199.199.199.225

KEY POINTS:
1) Each of the domU guests are HVMs, as opposed to paravirtualized. Most
will be CentOS, while 1-2 may be Gentoo/Debian.

2) I have looked and looked and can find zero/zip real world examples for network routing (as opposed to the bridge style). I'm presuming that this is what I must have since all machines need public/routable addresses.

Use the bridging (not the nat).  The machines will have public/routable.
We are doing this now.

3) In addition, the card has two NICs, and it might be best some of the
traffic to be on one NIC and some on the other for security.

It is possible to set up two bridges, giving each xen a virtual eth0
and eth1, and map the various IP's to each as needed.  We are doing this.

4) Another key point is that, for domUc, there are several IPs listed.
The reason that is there is for our web server which has numerous IP
addresses bound to it. HTTPS likes having its own IP addresses, and we
need to be able to bind multiple IPs to that guest. Is THIS possible,
or are we prevented somehow from binding multiple IPs to a server?

This is possible but you only list one IP in the xen config itself
and then start up the others once the machine starts up.
We have one xen instance that has four IP's right now and it is
working fine.

Steve Timm

5) The machine was set up ORIGINALLY using the GUI Xen tool on CentOS dom0 which resulted in a virtual bridge interface setup (the default) being configured. That still exists even though I have replaced the xend-config.xsp with route statement rather than bridge statements.

Could someone help me getting the guts of a working config for the dom0 and domU as well as any other changes I must make for this to work? I would greatly appreciate it!

I've been banging my head on this for days, even after reading the
networking section and searching the various resource sites, list
archives and wikis.

I may have missed a resource somewhere, but I did try.

Thank you.

LT