Re: [Xen-users] Can't use DVD Writer in DomU

  • To: "Paul Waldo" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Emre ERENOGLU" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 02:14:22 +0100
  • Cc: Xen users mailing list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:15:03 -0800

Hi Paul,

Maybe I'm wrong, but from the config file you wrote, I assume that you're using a PV guest. As far as I remember, you can not assign a "Device" as a CDROM or CDRW in a PV DomU. although you can assign a mounted cd drive as a "block disk drive".  This will mean that you can never use a CD/DVD writer in a PV domU.

In a HVM DomU, you can show a CDROM with your syntax in config file hdc:cdrom, but I've never seen anywhere that a "writer" device is emulated. Always read-only cd/dvd rom drive.

What you can do is to possibly use iSCSI and/or Ata over Ethernet to try to push your cd writer to a virtual domain. I've never tested it nor I now if is't technically possible.

I would kindly ask other users to comment and correct me if there's anything wrong.

Regards,

Emre