[Xen-users] Bridge Network route Dom0 through a DomU?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Hank Marquardt" <hmarquardt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:51:00 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:51:34 -0800

Situation

peth0 = internet
peth1 = local private network

Dom0 is only configured to use peth1 and works fine as such

I have a DomU setup as a NAT box for the local network to the internet and it is functioning as well.

DomU is also running a caching DNS and DHCP for the local network

The problem I have is DomO's gateway is set to the local network IP of the DomU, as is resolv.conf's dns entry

Dom0 resolves DNS, Dom0 can *ping* hosts on the internet (ie www.google.com), but Dom0 doesn't receive protocol traffic from the internet ... using ssh or w3m from Dom0 results in dead air.   I discovered this trying to build another VM, the xen-tools process just hangs waiting for connection to the mirror.

Can I do what I'm trying to do?   Any idea what I need to tweak?

Happy to provide whatever other config info would be useful.   Before you ask,  I don't enable the outside interface to Dom0 because I don't have enough surplus public IP space to waste the address.

Thoughts, comments and faq pointers welcome ... I have tried searching here and google, but haven't really found a solution.

Thanks.