Re: [Xen-users] understanding dom0 usage memory

So i think, too.

The memory used by domU's is managed by dom0, but allocation takes place
via the hypervisor.
You can see memory usage via xm command (e.g. xm top or xm list).

weiming schrieb:
I think there's no invisible process except for the balloon driver, by which you can use mem-set to change the domain's memory allocation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Claudinei Matos <claudineimatos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:claudineimatos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Stephan Seitz wrote:
     > Claudinei Matos schrieb:
     >> Hi guys,
     >

     >> My question is if the xen kernel part do try to allocate memory
    which
     >> I can't see on ps/top utils or if I maybe have a problem with my
     >> machines setup?
     >> Another question is if it's OK to just allocate 128MB to dom0? As I
     >> said the only machine with 128MB is a test machine which is not used
     >> this much.
     >
     > The dom0 memory shown by "free" has nothing to do with your
    physical ram.
     > By default, dom0 gets all memory which is not used by domU's.
     > If you're starting domU's your dom0 memory will shrink until
    dom0_min_mem
     > (see xm help, man xm ...). The same way your dom0 memory probably
     > balloons
     > out if you're stopping domU's.
     > If you want a static ram size at dom0, you need to add dom0_mem,
     > dom0_max_mem
     > and/or dom0_min_mem parameters to your grub entry (after xenXXX.gz).

    I'm already using boot option "dom0_mem" to limit the physical ram usage
    on all my nodes as well as the xend-config.sxp "dom0_min_mem" parameter
    with the same value of "dom0_mem" boot option.

    I still in doubt about if xen kernel modules are using the free memory
    but not showing up its use at top and ps commands.

    For tests purpose I've realized that none of the xen visible process do
    care about the domU "life". I can kill some xen process and the domU
    still running (I did not tested with blktapctrl as I think it can give
    some problems with domU storage). So I wonder there's some kernel land
    process (invisible to ps/top) which care about domU and who's probably
    consuming some free memory. Is there an away to see such a process
    and/or even look at its memory usage?

    Thanks,

    Claudinei Matos

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054