Re: Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1, Fedora 8 and PCI passthrough

On Monday 25 February 2008 10:48:42 am Kenneth Lundström wrote:
> If I now restart the computer and then open virt-manager my test domain
> is nowhere to be found. I have to edit the config.sxp file and remove
> the section about the NIC. I insert my own text and then my domain is
> back again. Is there a way to find out what the problem might be?

It's probably not a great idea to edit the UUID/config.sxp, and definitely not
when the guest is running. This points out the different styles virt-manager
and the usual 'xm' usage employ. When you create a domain in virt-manager /
virt-install, it does the equivalent of a 'virsh define xmlfile', which
creates your UUID/config.sxp. Then to start the guest, the gui does the
equivalent of 'virsh start domain-name(as defined in the xml file)'. When you
shutdown, virt-manager still has the definition until you do a 'virsh
undefine ...'. (The corresponding xm commands are xm new, xm start, and xm
delete.)

The user who uses xm instead of a gui typically uses xm create, and xm destroy
or shutdown (or shuts down gracefully from within the guest), which leaves no
residual trace of the domain in the xenstore databases. It's always a good
idea to have copies of the dumpxml, or the flat config you created from it,
in case the xenstore definitions disappear, or are corrupted (in which case
you erase /var/lib/xend/domains/UUID after rebooting into a non-xen kernel).

The difference between the dumpxml and the flat config is which command you
create the domain with. virsh define/create uses xml, xm new/create uses the
flat config. I personally always create a domain from a config, which is
backed up along with everything else important, and don't worry about whether
xen will remember my domain's definition w/o corruption in it's database.
Also, having a config you can edit allows you to add more advanced features
(like pci passthrough) that the gui can't handle. Editing a database is,
again, probably a bad idea.