Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.0 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

  • To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Emre ERENOGLU" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:06:00 +0100
  • Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen users mailing list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:06:45 -0800

Hi Jim, (James),

Yesterday, I tried to copy a file around 700 MB from Dom0 to DomU, and got similar results, it was around 2 MByte/sec.

Seemed pretty slow to me.

Emre

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:25 AM, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 26 February 2008 05:54:16 am you wrote:
> I see ioemu in the vif= line in your config file. did you try using
> netfront instead (possibly with a different MAC ID)?

I didn't change the MAC - don't want Windows to think I have new hardware -
but I tried all the different drivers. I copied a 40 MB (42,757,000) from
domu to dom0, and rebooted the domu inbetween each copy, waiting till the cpu
load dropped after the reboot for the next copy:

xennet took 26 secs (1.64MBs)
Realtek took 37 secs (1.16MBs)

And then I ran into a wall. I have 0.8.3 loaded now, and the xennet nic
doesn't appear unless you boot with /gplpv, unlike previous versions. It
seems I can't bring up a netfront nic anymore either - don't know if it is
related. So, repeating the tests with my backup hvm, which has Halsign
installed, and lives on a samba mount:

Halsign took 41 secs (1.04 MBs)
Realtek took 60 secs (0.71 MBs)

and again, I couldn't load netfront. I've gotten a couple of kernel xen/xen.gz
updates in quick succession in the last week. It's still xen.gz 3.1.0-rc7,
but I won't swear it's the same changeset, or set of patches since the last
time I loaded netfront, and that kernel is long gone (since fedora only keeps
the last two). Sorry I couldn't verify your hunch, but I think you are right.

--
Emre Erenoglu
erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx