[Xen-users] Large picture question

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "The Archer" <archerfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:05:18 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:05:51 -0800

Greetings Programs!

I have a project I would like to do and think that Xen would be a good solution to it but I wanted to double check with the users list and make sure, plus if I could get a 'big picture' set of instructions I would much appreciate it.

Currently I have two hosts on two servers at home (windows 2000 server and debian) that I would like to consolidate onto one physical machine, with Xen as the platform/backend for all of that.

So first off, is it possible to do a physical to virtual conversion of these two hosts without losing anything? The debian box in question has been around since 2000 and has numerous customizations in it that I don't want to have to recreate by doing a blank install and migration.

Second, what are the options for upgrading the OS after being a Xen guest OS? At work we run Xen and have been having nothing but headaches trying to upgrade a sles9 guest to sles10 using the commercial xen4.0 product. Am I going to be locking myself into never updating the debian box through a distribution level again because of something in how Xen works?

Finally, what are the basic/overview order of steps to take to get myself from where I am now to where I want to be? Much appreciated for any input, I did dig through the archives a little but without a specific problem or issue in mind I wasn't able to find quite what I needed.

<EOL>
Tib