Re: Xen 3.2 HVM help (was Re: [Xen-users] intel or amd?)

Evan Lavelle wrote:
Random thoughts:

1 - console doesn't work on HVM anyway; don't use the -c option

In the past, I know better than to have attempted this.. but in recent explorations, I seem to have read somewhere that there's a kernel option to output to serial port, and that the xm console for an HVM would in fact be the serial port output?

 Or did I misinterpret this?

2 - use sdl for the install, not vnc (fewer variables)

I would if I were on the machine in question. As it is, it is at a remote location and I'm accessing it over a VPN... so unless I'm missing something (ie can I even use the SDL way if I'm NOT on the local machine's console??) I can't go this route.

vif          = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, bridge=xenbr0' ]

 Is it essential to add the "bridge=xenbr0" ?

 Will networking not work in an HVM without it?

And.. with all the recent talk about bridging and Xen 3.2, I get the impression xenbr0 isn't used in the same capacity anymore... in which case, should I say "bridge=eth0" ? Or, is that referring to something else entirely?

4 - if the install hangs early on, then you may have a real mode problem. If so, try a text mode install if possible. If that doesn't work, give up. But, I thought this wasn't a problem on 3.2 anyway; the real-mode stuff was apparently rewritten in 3.2.

Out of the 30+ times I attempted to boot my HVM, maybe about 4-5 times did I actually/eventually see anything.. maybe a HVM POST screen (ie VGA BIOS, disk controller being "detected" etc.) or the initial debian text mode installer screen.

I'm assuming when you say "text mode install" you mean non-X... which is all I'm shooting for (I'm not doing HVM in this case for X, I'm doing it for a fully contained machine that I can run some non-Xen kernels on).

 Thank you for your thoughts. I will keep plugging away with them in mind.

-Matthew
--
 Matthew Haas
 Visiting Instructor

  "Writing should be like breathing;
   It is one of those important things we do." -- me