Re: [Xen-users] How can be defined the order of the starting of DomUs linked into /etc/xen/auto?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 05:32:38 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 21:33:14 -0800

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:20:42PM +0100, Artur Linhart - Linux communication
wrote:
>             I  use Xen 3.1.0 for longer time, but I still have one problem -
> how could I define the order of the starting of the DomU instances which are
> automatically restored/started if the DOm0 starts?

Influencing the ordering by naming the files 000-foo.conf and
010-bar.conf and so on works for me as a blunt tool.  As others have
pointed out, just because you start domfoo before dombar does not
mean that services in domfoo will be avilable to dombar by the time
it needs them.

As these two domains could one day end up on completely different
machines, I think you will need to figure this situation into your
application as opposed to at the operating system level.

Further on this subject, starting domains from cold is quite a rare
occurence for me.  Most often I have rebooted a dom0 for a kernel
update or whatever and the clean shutdown resulted in all domains
being saved to disk.  On start-up they restore from disk, in
alphabetical order of the save files in /var/lib/xen/save/.

Influencing the order they restore in proves to be slightly more
challenging...

Cheers,
Andy