[Xen-users] Debian woody as guest?

I'm trying to get a woody system to run as a guest under xen. I have a
copy of a filesystem (from my x-box) but I'm having problems getting
it to run. Has anyone managed to do it?

If I try and use the filesytem image from my x-box and the 2.6.18.8
xen kernel, it hangs in checkroot.sh (I think from the 2.6.18.8
initrd). I found one reference on the web where someone had it
working. He mumbled something about having to fix that startup script,
with no details, and a dead link to a woody filesystem image.
Does anyone know of a 2.4 kernel with the xen patches in it. That
might get me around this issue.

I also tried playing with hvmloader. I assume that hvmloader expects
an image of a full disk (with partition table and MBR) rather than
just a partition image like the paravirtuallized kernel. I tried
booting KNOPPIX under hvmloader (intending to partition the disk and
copy the filesystem), but had no luck. All it did was print ATI and a
number when I tried to start it.

Here's my config files, if anyone cares. Maybe I did someting really stupid.

TIA

#
# Configuration file for the Xen instance sarge.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca, created
# by xen-tools 3.8 on Thu Jan  3 19:20:33 2008.
#

#
#  Kernel + memory size
#
kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18.8-xen'
memory      = '128'

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
root        = '/dev/hda2 ro'
disk        = [

'file:/home/images/domains/xbox-dev.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/swap.img,hda1,w',

'file:/home/images/domains/xbox-dev.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/disk.img,hda2,w',
              ]

#
#  Hostname
#
name        = 'xbox-dev.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca'

#
#  Networking
#
#dhcp        = 'dhcp'
vif         = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:27:9D:48' ]

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

This is the hvm one:

#
# Configuration file for the Xen instance sarge.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca, created
# by xen-tools 3.8 on Thu Jan  3 19:20:33 2008.
#

#
#  Kernel + memory size
#
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

# The domain build function. HVM domain uses 'hvm'.
builder='hvm'

memory      = '128'

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
#root        = '/dev/hda2 ro'
disk        = [

'file:/home/images/domains/xbox-dev.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/new.img,hda,w',

'file:/home/iso/KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso,hdc:cdrom,r'
              ]

boot='d'

#
#  Hostname
#
name        = 'xbox-dev.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca'

#
#  Networking
#
#dhcp        = 'dhcp'
vif         = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:27:9D:48' ]

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

# New stuff
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c), Network (n) or CD-ROM (d)
# default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
#boot="cda"

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  write to temporary files instead of disk image files
#snapshot=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable SDL library for graphics, default = 0
sdl=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable VNC library for graphics, default = 1
vnc=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# address that should be listened on for the VNC server if vnc is set.
# default is to use 'vnc-listen' setting from /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# set VNC display number, default = domid
#vncdisplay=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# try to find an unused port for the VNC server, default = 1
#vncunused=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable spawning vncviewer for domain's console
# (only valid when vnc=1), default = 0
#vncconsole=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# set password for domain's VNC console
# default is depents on vncpasswd in xend-config.sxp
vncpasswd='xbox-dev'

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# no graphics, use serial port
#nographic=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable stdvga, default = 0 (use cirrus logic device model)
stdvga=0

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   serial port re-direct to pty deivce, /dev/pts/n
#   then xm console or minicom can connect
serial='pty'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   Qemu Monitor, default is disable
#   Use ctrl-alt-2 to connect
#monitor=1

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   enable sound card support, [sb16|es1370|all|..,..], default none
#soundhw='sb16'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    set the real time clock to local time [default=0 i.e. set to utc]
#localtime=1

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    set the real time clock offset in seconds [default=0 i.e. same as dom0]
#rtc_timeoffset=3600

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    start in full screen
#full-screen=1

#   Enable USB support (specific devices specified at runtime through the
#                       monitor window)
#usb=1

#   Enable USB mouse support (only enable one of the following, `mouse' for
#                             PS/2 protocol relative mouse, `tablet' for
#                             absolute mouse)
#usbdevice='mouse'
#usbdevice='tablet'