Re: [Xen-users] How do I share a folder with xen guests on Linux?

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Nico Kadel-Garcia schrieb:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
Hi

How do I share a folder, say /bkp with xen hosts? I'm using CentOS 5.1 as host

NFS?

Sorry, I should have said, I'd like to the folder to be visible to the guests, and not NFS / FTP, as it will interfere with the network statistics on the NIC

I don't think there are any other options to share data between the host and guest other than using network.

Certainly, using a serial connection or VNC are not an option.

Why not create a separate interface just for this kind of traffic?

Yes, there is. Once you've booted the Xen domaiin, you can add hte block device or ISO or other file system image to the list of block devices of the guest domain with the "xm" command, and then log into the Xen guest and mount it there. I recommend this only for read-only block devices, to avoid becoming confused about what is writing to the partition and how too manage it.

Yeah, but it's not really a "shared" device then.
Well, yes. If you have multiple systems able to write to the device, you're begging for disaster. That requires network-style mountable file systems, because each OS makes the working system that it owns its own block devices and no one else is mucking with them. It's as bad as having two infants and only one breast for them. They have to take turns.....

ok, I didn't know that's how it works. With VirtualBox one can just share a folder between the host & guest (or multiple guests for that matter) without any problems, so I thought this was the case with Xen as well. But I'll use NFS then between them, thank you :)

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com