Re: [Xen-users] Frist try of Xen-3.2 on Slackware 12

Hi Steve,

With version 3.1.3 of Xen, I am able to boot until this error message,
then the server reboot.

** WARNING: Currently emulating unsupported memory accesses  **
**          in /lib/tls glibc libraries. The emulation is    **
**          slow. To ensure full performance you should      **
**          install a 'xen-friendly' (nosegneg) version of   **
**          the library, or disable tls support by executing **
**          the following as root:                           **
**          mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled                    **
** Offending process: init (pid=1)                           **

But on Slackware there is no "tls" under "/lib" neither under "/usr/lib".

I read on Gentoo doc that we can disable "tls" flag by setting this
CFLAGS="-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs" before compilling the kernel
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xen_and_Gentoo)

So, I am going to try, and rebuild a customized kernel.

To make things more difficult, I am on XFS filesystem (mkinitrd resolved this issue).

No need to install "swaret" for GNU GRUB support, version 0.97 do its job,
even with XFS filesystem. Just follow the step by step instructions found on
GNU GRUB documentation ... ;-)

I keep you informed with version 3.1.3 before to make another try with version 3.2.

Regards

Steve Spencer wrote:
Xdub,

I can get you past your compile errors, I believe, even to the point of installing the kernel, but I have not as yet been able to get the kernel to actually boot on Slackware 12. Here is what I've done to get to the point of booting, and if you can get past this to a working boot, then I'd love to hear how you got it accomplished:

1.) Install Slackware 12 with X and all development packages, ext3 filesystem.
2.) Install swaret for slackware updates, modify the config and run:
    a.) swaret --update
    b.) swaret --upgrade
3.) Install grub: swaret --install grub
4.) Run grubconfig
5.) Reboot and verify grub install
6.) Download and untar xen-3.2.0.tar.gz
7.) Run hg clone -r 406 http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
8.) cd xen-3.2.0
9.) Run make world and then make install
10.) vi /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the kernel as a boot option

Let me know if you get a compiled kernel after that. Then, if you boot successfully, let me know how you did it! :-)

Thanks,

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957