Re: [Xen-users] ubuntu64, xen-unstable (hg cloned today) and freebsd 7.0 i386

You need to compile xen with 'vmxassist=n'

On Mar 11, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Davide D'Amico wrote:

Hi,
I am using the configuration as in the subject and I'm unable to start
a FreeBSD 7 i386 iso image.
I have to use FreeBSD because of its jail construct (yes, I could use OpenVZ, but this is another story).

Here the details.
Server:
 DELL Poweredge 2900 2 Quad Core Intel Xeon
root@dom-mgmt:/etc/xen# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flag | head -1
flags : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

Software:
 Xen 3.2 unstable (cloned from repository this morning)

Installation:
 make world
 make install

domU template:
root@dom-mgmt:/etc/xen# more dom0.televas.it
kernel          = '/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader'
device_model    = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
builder         = 'hvm'

# VM/domain name
name            = 'fbsd'

# Memory and CPU settings
vcpus           = '2'
memory          = '1024'
serial          = 'pty'

# Disk settings
disk = [ 'file:/home/dave/disk.img,hda,w','file:/home/ dave/7.0-RELEAS
E-i386-disc1.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
boot            = 'd'

# Graphics settings
sdl             = '0'
vnc             = '1'
vncviewer       = '1'
nographics      = '1'

# Other settings
apic            = '1'
acpi            = '1'
localtime       = '1'

# Start/stop settings
on_poweroff     = 'destroy'
on_reboot       = 'destroy'
on_crash        = 'destroy'

Xen config file is the default, with vnc listening on all interfaces.

FreeBSD 7 RELEASE halts on "Relocating the loader and the BTX"

I tried everything I can, including:
- Debian Lenny and Xen 3.2.0 from repository;
- Ubuntu 64 and Xen 3.1.0 from repository;
- Fedora 8 amd64 and Xen 3.2.0 from xen website
And I had always the same behaviour.

Any news/ideas?

Thanks in advance,
dave