Re: [Xen-users] File2LVM?

ïOn Tue, 2008-03-11 at 14:46 +0000, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> Does it really make that much of a difference to performance ?

In my experience yes, though I don't have any figures to hand.  You'll
see less cpu usage in dom0 (though Rainers problem might be due to the
qemu layer used for windows).

A good boost comes from not using sparse files too, although a different
issue there is no temptation to do so with an LV :)

> If you create the LV greater than the size of the file, once you have
> dd it across, can you extend the root size ? all will it autodetect
> the new size ?

create a larger LV, run the dd, then use resize2fs (assuming you're
using ext2/3) to extend the filesystem to the full LV size.

You can do this at any time. shutdown guest,ï extend LV, resize2fs, boot
guest back up (though lvresize has the --resizefs option too which just
runs resize2fs for you i think).

John.
--
http://www.brightbox.co.uk - UK Ruby on Rails hosting