Re: [Xen-users] File system layout

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:28:41 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:29:07 -0700

Mark Williamson wrote:
My supervisor wants to create a LV then give that to a VM and then
create a VG with LV's under it inside the VM. I have read on the list
where this will give bad performance inside the VM.

It won't necessarily give *bad* performance but doing the two layers of translation is a bit unfortunate.

An email from Sadique on this list sometime early this year said LVM has 2%
performance hit over pysical partitions. So using LVM on both dom0 and domU (roughly) reduce performance by 4%.

To me, the simplicity of doing all LVM management in dom0 and hiding it from the guest appeals.

It's actually possible to pass separate LVM volumes to appear as individual partitions in the guest - this has the advantage that there's no MS-DOS partition table to worry about, just a load of linear LVs with filesystems on.

I second that. That is what we do for Linux PV guests.

Regards,

Fajar