Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.8 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

On Monday March 31 2008 01:13:34 pm Age_M wrote:
> Well, I didn't expect it to work, but just want to inform you that a
> German WinXP Prof SP2 still get's the BSoD with afaik "inaccessible boot
> device" errorcode (0x7b?). Is there anything I could do, to provide you

Well, I made the mistake of trying to run install.bat while still having
booted w/ /gplpv. As soon as my PV nic (from 0.8.4) disappeared in Task
Manager, I got the BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF765639D,0xF8AF930C,0xF8AF9008)

***   xenenum.sys - Address F765639D base at F6540000, DateStamp 47f0c67f

Resuming the install after booting w/o /gplpv, I got the BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF722F3DC,0xF8AF534b,0xF8AF5044)

***   xenpci.sys - Address F722F3DC base at F722B000, DateStamp 47f0c67f

At this point, rebooting w/o /gplpv consistently produced a hang (after the
Windows logo). Mounting the vbd image offline, I see that the only xen*.sys
that got updated was xenenum, so I copied the 0.8.4 xenenum on top of it, and
rebooted w/o /gplpv. Looking in Device Manager, the only PV drivers Windows
*thinks* are 0.8.8 are xenenum & xenpci (even tho' it never copied over
the .sys file), and the Xen PV nic is missing again. Proceeding with
install.bat, and I get the BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF6EE52D9,0xF8AF9064,0xF8AF8D60)

***   xenvbd.sys - Address F6EE52D9 base at F6EDB000, DateStamp 47f0c67d

Rebooting w/o /gplpv successfully, Device Manager thinks all listed Xen PV
drivers are 0.8.8, except the nic is still missing (unless I select 'Show
Hidden Devices', in which case the Packet Scheduler Miniport and Virtual
Machine Network Services Driver attached to Xen Net Device Driver have
Microsoft drivers, so this must be something that Microsoft provides
automatically for all nics). The only xen*.sys files that have been updated
in c:\windows\system32\drivers are xenstub and xenvbd and xenaddresource
(since I copied over xenenum), but not xenhide or xenpci. Rerunning
install.bat, it went all the way to the final screen. Copying over all the
0.8.8 xen*.sys files to [...]\drivers, I scheduled a chkdsk & rebooted
w/o /gplpv, the chkdsk did its corrections successfully, and rebooted and
hung between selecting no gplpv, and what would have been the Windows logo.
Destroyed and rebooted a couple of more times w/ and w/o /gplpv, and still no
logo. Mounting offline, and looking at the xen*.sys files, xenenum is 0
bytes, so I copied over the 0.8.8 version, and rebooted successfully
w/o /gplpv. Still no Xen PV nic. Reboot w/ /gplpv, and get the 0x7B BSOD.
Back to 0.8.4 for now (or just boot w/o /gplpv).

My impression is that there is something wrong w/ xenenum. That's where the
problems start with the install, and that's when I lose my Xen nic. Plus,
Windows starts asking me to revalidate as soon as I try to install something
higher than 0.8.5 (because of large changes in hardware).