Re: [Xen-users] Convert CentOS system to Xen image?

On Mi, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:19:19 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
> > Attempted to do this using netcat + ssh and here's my next problem. The
> > CentOS server is using LVM, so instead of getting an img file of around
> > 8 gig that I expected, I got one that is 18 gig, or the size of the LV.
> >
> > I tried it anyway and I get a valid boot sector not found.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Don't do netcat, create a fresh PV with the same installed packages
> as on the old machine and copy the configuration of the old server
> that is pertinent. You could look at creating a kickstart file to
> have those packages installed during the initial install, or just
> install base/core and add in by hand the missing packages via yum.

You can use dd or cat (+ netcat | ssh)
and it will copy raw image,

but creating LVM and filesystems on its logical volumes
has several advantages:

1. You can filesystems with any layout and sizes
2. You transfer only data and not "freespace" as in case of dd/netcat usage

Disatvantage:

1. You should create LVM and FS first.

> For data partitions like /home you can do a dump, sftp, and restore.

Also you can use rsync
(it should be installed on both hosts).

--
WBR, i.m.chubin