Re: [Xen-users] understanding networking - xen 3.1 and CentOS 5.1

  • To: "Götz" Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:13:57 -0700

> --- Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently I started to play with xen. Therefore I
> got
> > a new system and
> > installed Centos 5.1 with the virtualisation
> > packages (xen 3.1 etc.)
> >
> > Setting up a Centos 5.1 Guest using the virtual
> > manager tool works like
> > a charm, the guest boots has network access, can
> > install updates from
> > the internet - so far so good.
> >
> > Now I was looking at the network configuration and
> > was confused. How
> > dose the IP configuration of the client is set up?
> > After my basic
> > installation the guest uses dhcp.
> >
> > Until now I haven't found any answer to my
> question
> > how I may configure
> > the host and the guest(s) to use fixed ip
> addresses
> > from the lan the
> > server is located on. I fount a lot of web pages,
> > pdfs etc, but all
> > looks somhow different :-) (O.K. the host can be )
> >
> > E.g. I'd like the host to have the ip
> 172.17.255.10,
> > the guests should
> > have the ip 172.17.255.11, .12 and .13 ...
*********
Option 1
*********
Disable daemon libvirtd:-
# chkconfig libvirtd off
Put CentOS 5.1 Dom0 on DHCP Bridge.
Verify /etc/xen/xend-conf.sxp to turn on old
fashioned xen bridging based on ethernet interface
connected to bridge and specify "DHCP" for any DomU
you intend to create. That's it.
*********
Option 2
*********
If libvirtd is up and running (default state)
any DomU will be on subnet 192.168.122.1 (netmask
255.255.255.0)
and will be perfectly reachable from the Dom0's LAN,
whatever it is.
Libvirtd is doing bridging and NAT to mentioned subnet
automatically.
This aproach was implemented by RH in F7,F8,RHEL 5.1
and differs
from old fashion xen bridging. However, RHEL 5.1
(CentOS 5.1) does allow
you to disable libvirtd and turn back to what you
want.
No problems again