Re: [Xen-users] Is XVD live resize possible?

Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Say I export an LVM logical volume from dom0 as /dev/xvda to the domU:
>>
>> disk = [ 'phy:xenimages/stan,xvda,w' ]
>>
>> No I can lvresize xenimages/stan in dom0, but the domU stays ignorant
>> of this change.  How could I propagate the resize to the domU without
>> rebooting or temporarily breaking its connection to /dev/xvda?  Sort
>> of a SCSI rescan, perhaps?
>
> You have to resize the *file system* on the partition.

Sure, that would be the next step.  But I can't resize the file system
until the underlying partition gets bigger also from the domU point of
view.

> Whether you can use a 'rescue CD' inside the virtualized
> environment, to resize your partitions, is an interesting question
> and may depend on your installed OS quite a bit. You can certainly
> resize non-'/' partitions from the live OS, and use such an
> environment to re-run grub if your boot loader has moved or gotten
> confused.

I'm using LVM, so resizing anything is very well possible from the
running OS, as soon as I have the (virtual) raw disk space for it.  A
reboot would certainly provide that, but the question is exactly how
to avoid a reboot.  It's a low level block device problem, below that
of filesystems or even LVM.
--
Thanks,
Feri.