Re: [Xen-users] How to stop yum update on CentOS 5.1 to modify grub

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
Hi all

I just got a shocker today on a CentOS 5.1 x64 Xen server where the xen VPS didn't work properly so I thought I'd reboot it, but upon reboot it gave me some memory errors, so I rebooted the server and couldn't start Xen at all. Then after poking around I thought I'd check to see if the Xen kernel is running, and it's not running. It seem yum updated has updated the kernel, and then updated grub to use the new CentOS kernel, which is what it's supposed todo. But how do I stop yum from doing it?

I wouldn't hack into packet managers. It's better to use menu.lst itself to
reflect the changes you want.

I don't know which version of grub centos uses, but on recent debian/ubuntu
systems, there are commented lines which are used for default values.

e.g.
## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=vtd=1

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0 swiotlb=128 max_loop=64

and

## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=2c9954c1-d8f5-477a-a808-39f768b10ac3 ro

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

results in

title           Xen 3.2 / Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.18.8-xen
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /xen-3.2.gz vtd=1
module          /vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen
root=UUID=2c9954c1-d8f5-477a-a808-39f768b10ac3 ro console=tty0 swiotlb=128
max_loop=64
module          /initrd.img-2.6.18.8-xen
quiet

after running update-grub.

Well, assuming you've appropriate xen, vmlinuz, initrd and System.map files in
place ;)

HTH

Cheers,

Stephan