Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

Gordon McLellan wrote:
I can't comment on some of the fancier images offered by jailtime, but
for something like Centos (or rhel), I recommend you roll your own
image.  I created a local mirror of the Centos 5.1 files, and it takes
about 8 min to do a kickstart installation.

>From what I've learned so far, xvda is provided by the xen block
device driver, which is either in the kernel image, or part of the
initial ramdisk (initrd).  I see in your config file you are booting a
special kernel, but without special initrd.  Usually they go hand in
hand.

Here is my centos 5.1 xen config file.  You'll note I am using an lvm
logical volume as the block device, instead of a loopback file.

# cat netserver
# uncomment the kernel, ramdisk and extra lines for a kickstart install
# make sure to comment the bootloader line
# after the install, comment kernel, ramdisk and extra, uncomment bootloader
#kernel = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-vmlinuz"
#ramdisk = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-initrd.img"
#extra = "text ks=http://192.168.2.8/centos64-2.ks";
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
name = "netserver"
memory = "256"
disk = [ 'phy:vg0/xen_netserver,xvda,w', ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
vcpus=1
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
on_poweroff = 'restart'
#on_reboot = 'destroy'
#on_crash = 'destroy'
#on_poweroff = 'destroy'

This is the site that taught me how to do a centos domu via kickstart:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU

Gordon
Hi Gordon

I actually want to get FreeBSD & Windows working on my CentOS 5.1 x64 server as well, so the jailtime images seem ideal.

I've modied the /etc/xen/centos.5-1.cfg file a bit, and the VPS is starting up, but haning at the sshd service:

INIT: version 2.86 booting
               Welcome to  CentOS release 5 (Final)
               Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Setting clock : Mon Apr  7 13:02:55 EDT 2008 [  OK  ]
Starting udev: [  OK  ]
Setting hostname centos_pristine:  [  OK  ]
Checking filesystems
Checking all file systems.
[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/xvda1
/dev/xvda1: clean, 25465/128256 files, 96182/256256 blocks
[  OK  ]
Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:  [  OK  ]
Mounting local filesystems:  [  OK  ]
Enabling /etc/fstab swaps:  [  OK  ]
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
Entering non-interactive startup
Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0... failed.
[FAILED]
Starting system logger: [  OK  ]
Starting kernel logger: [  OK  ]
Mounting other filesystems:  [  OK  ]
Starting sshd: [  OK  ]

This is my config:

[root@temp01 ~]# more /etc/xen/centos.5-1.xen3.cfg
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/xen-guest-initrd"
memory = 512
name = "centos.5-1"
vif = [ '' ]
dhcp = "dhcp"
disk = ['file:/home/centos.5-1.img,xvda1,w', 'file://centos.swap,xvda2,w']
root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sadique Puthen wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know how to use the images from http://www.jailtime.org/?
I've downloaded the CentOS 5.1
(http://www.jailtime.org/download:centos:v5.1) to my CentOS 5.1 x64 Xen 3.1
server, and unpacked it to my /home folder.
Then I took the included config file, centos.5-1.xen3.cfg and copied it
to /xen - and modified to my needs:
[root@gimbli home]# more /etc/xen/centos5-1
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen"
memory = 256
name = "centos5-1"
vif = [ '' ]
dhcp = "dhcp"
#disk = ['file:/home/vm/centos.5-1.img,sda1,w',
'file:/home/centos.swap,sda2,w']
#root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

disk = [ "tap:aio:/home/vm/centos.5-1.img,xvda,w" ]
root = "/dev/xvda ro"

Probably you need a initrd image built using --with=xennet
--preload=xenblk and specify that as ramdisk= in the guest configuration
file and change the /etc/fstab references in your image to xvda after
loopback mounting that in dom0.
--Sadique

 Hi Sadique

 I'm going to attempt this again. I've installed Xen 3.2 on my CentOS 5.1
machine, and want to try use this jailtime image again.

 I've mounted /home/centos.5-1.img on /mnt/vm, edited /mnt/vm/etc/fstab &
changed it to use /dev/xvda1

 # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
 /dev/xvda1               /                       ext3    defaults 1 1

 From this, I realize there's no /dev/xvda on the image:

 [root@temp01 ~]# ll /mnt/vm/dev/x*
 crw-rw---- 1 root root  10, 179 Mar 25  2001 /mnt/vm/dev/xsvc
 crw-r--r-- 1 root root 204, 191 Mar 21  2007 /mnt/vm/dev/xvc0

 So, how do I get it?

 I'm trying to understand what you mean with the --with-xennet
--preload=xenblk stuff, but I don't understand how / where to put it. Please
elaborate?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers