Re: [Xen-users] New Xen System for home

Just to offer my 5 cents ... if you compare the prices of high end
desktop boards ($200+) to those of low end server boards ($250-300),
the rest of the parts are comparable in price, and then you'll have a
real server to run servers on.

For example I recently built myself a quad core xeon box for under
$1500, complete with 8g of ram and the latest in 45nm, the harpertown.
 It used to be FBDIMM memory cost a fortune, but the price for 8g of
DDR2-667 fbdimm's vs standard DDR2-667 is only about 30-50% more.
Plus a server board is going to have 6 to 8 slots, which means it is
possible to go beyond 8g (the limit of most desktop boards).

Example, the xeon E5420 is roughly $50 more than the core2 q9300...
but you get double the cache (12m vs 6m).

The only problem... down the road, if you want to retask the box as a
single user gamer, your xeon server board will not be very
accommodating, where as the desktop board would be happy to oblige.
Although, I'd question the value of a quad core in gamer anyway ...
90% of the games out there are still single core ponies.

Gordon