Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] How does VNC in Xen worked?

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How does VNC in Xen worked?
Date: Monday April 14 2008
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Friday April 11 2008 11:17:22 am Lucky wrote:
> While doing this, I'm wondering how VNC service in Xen worked. Does it:
>  1- Just running a vnc server in the guest domain and we could configure to
> access the guest domain through a network bridge in Xen. In this case, the
> VNC service indeed has nothing to do with Xen system, and it's only an
> application in guest domain which could get through Xen's supervisor to the
> network.
>
> Or:
>
> 2- VNC server was a part built in IOEMU module of Xen, and directly grub
> the keyboard, mouse, and screen IO from the supervisor. In this case, the
> guest domain OS is not aware about whether the VNC service is running, and
> it just receives normal input/output IO from Xen system.

Most everyone has answered #2, and this is correct, and the default behavior
requiring no further action on your part. However, nothing is stopping you
from installing a vnc server in your guest, and connecting to the ip of the
guest with vncviewer. By contrast for #2, you are connecting to the ip of
dom0, if you've changed xend-config.sxp to listen on 0.0.0.0. (Or you could
just override xend-config,sxp in your guest's config with the vnclisten=
parm.)

Mark's explanation was very enlightening, as usual. I always wondered why
Redhat changed running PV domain consoles from xen-vncfb (which I assume uses
libVncserver) to using 'qemu-dm -M xenpv ...'.  Now I understand this is part
of updating xen itself on Fedora, not a Redhat specific change.